June 2023 - Graduation, a baby quilt and some FFOs

June was another fun month as we continued to celebrate our daughter, starting with Graduation and then at her Grad party. I also attended about 6 other grad parties and enjoyed celebrating with my other Girl Scouts and good friends. As I type this near the end of June, we are done with graduation parties and now have our eye turned to summer, especially an upcoming summer vacation. 

In between and after all the celebrations, I was able to spend some good time sewing and stitching. On the sewing front, I was able to get a few good days in my sewing room - first, I quilted my mom's top (that I've had since January!) - I custom quilted it very similarly to my own top of the same quilt. Here's a picture of the back - it is a white on white fabric so shows off the quilting well. 

Quilting from the back

As soon as I unloaded my mom's quilt from the frame, I loaded the baby quilt for my work colleague. It was a quick and easy top to quilt (all over stippling) and bind. It was wrapped up and gifted while she was in town. 

Triple Treat Petite baby quilt

On the stitching front, I have a finish and a few FFOs. First, the finish, which was my oldest work in progress - Goody Grimwood by Plum Street Samplers. I started this piece as my first project for StitchMaynia 2021 and worked on it over the last two years, putting the final stitches in it in early June. This is my first project on 40 count linen and I really enjoyed it - stitched with all the called for floss colors on the called for fabric (R&R Reproductions Stars Hollow). It's always hard to see the fabric color in a picture - this one looks a little dull/light compared to how it looks in person, a light neutral with a little mottling from the hand dye. 


I continued to finish off my inspirational pieces and this one was next up - Believe in Yourself by Lizzie Kate, part of the Three Little Words series. I stitched this on Vintage Country Mocha with all the called for colors and I just love it. Like the others, it is finished as a flat fold with a pocket in the back and it has Lady Dot Creates lace as the trim. 

Side view of the flat fold

My next FFO for June is Circle of Flowers by AuryTM. I finished this just as it was finished on the pattern cover, in a simple hoop. I think it shows off the pattern nicely. This one is stitched on 28 count white Monaco with the called for DMC threads. I am happy to have this one finished for summer. 

Circle of Flowers by AuryTM

I have another FFO partially done, so hope to have that one finished up by the end of July, preferably with a few others!

In addition to the activities in my own sewing room, I also went on a quilt shop visit with my mom. We went to Unraveled in Spencer, IN - it has been open a while, but this was my first time to visit. What a great shop - lots of fun fabrics including a very good selection of blenders, nice shop models and plenty of patterns. I couldn't resist the super cute Lella Boutique reindeer pattern and I decided to get a few of the fabrics for the quilt - the brown and black will become reindeer faces, and the grey will be the background. I just need to pull fat quarters and some white from my stash to make up this quilt. No immediate plans for it - I have a duffel bag to make my daughter for college first! 
Overall, June was a great month - plenty of stitching and sewing time, celebrations, and shopping - what more could you want? 

Here are my monthly stats: 

Sewing time with Kate at Life-in-Pieces
24/30 days with at least 15 minutes of crafting = 80%

Stash reporting with Donna at quiltpaintcreate
Fabric added this month: 5 yards
Fabric used this month: 1 5/8 yards
Fabric added year to date: 6 1/2 yards
Fabric used year to date: 8 1/8 yards
Net fabric used: 1 5/8 yards (phew, still in positive numbers!)

FFO Challenge tracking: 
Stitching projects: +1 finish, -2 FFO = 40 projects waiting to be FFO'ed (somewhere my monthly numbers are off because last month's post says 42, but my spreadsheet says I have 40 to FFO)
Quilts: 1 quilt finished = 11 quilts waiting to be finished

Thanks for reading and special thanks to those who take the time to comment, it is great to hear from you and know you are reading! Happy July! 

Comments

June was a productive month for you, Jennifer. Each one of your finishes is fantastic. I love the baby quilt you put together for your colleague. Have a wonderful July.
Kate said…
Congrats to your girl on graduation. You did well on both the quilting and hand stitching front in June. Enjoy your family vacation this month. Happy stitching too.