March 2023 Recap

I feel like I start each monthly recap saying how busy it was and/or quickly the prior month went by, but that seems to be the case these days! I knew March would be a busy month, with trips at the start and end and a stitching retreat in the middle. The good news is that stitching travels easily so I was never without something to keep my hands busy. I only turned on my sewing machine once in March and that was to FFO (fully finish) a stitched piece, so we will jump right into the stitching. 

I had two stitching finishes in March, both of which were also started in March, and I had three fully finished pieces - here they are: 

My finish is my newest shop model for my local shop, Persnickety Stitchers. We have some big pieces of peach and lavender Aida, so I looked for a pattern that would show off one of them well, and found this Cottage Garden Samplings pattern from 2020. I used the called for DMC threads and just found that I didn't take a picture of it finished, so here's a picture of it underway (stay tuned, you will see an FFO picture for the April recap). 

Hello Spring by Cottage Garden Samplings

My three full finishes included two framed pieces and a piece that was stitched and finished within a week! 

Let's start with the first framed piece, Charting a Course. I picked up this kit from a stitcher's sale in 2018 or 2019 and started it as a Stitch Maynia piece in 2021. I really enjoyed working on this one and absolutely love it in the frame from Michael's. It was a bit of a story...but they say third time's the charm, right? I am so glad to have it framed correctly and with a frame that has no blemishes. 
Charting a Course, stitched on kit Aida with kit threads
Framed by the Custom framing department at Michael's

My second framed piece is one I picked up a frame for on a trip with my mom. I sent this one down to Fancy Works with her, as I knew Liz would do a great job with the gingham fabric. I am so pleased with this FFO as well and can't wait to hang it at Halloween. In fact, it will likely be up most of the fall. 

Playing with Jax, stitched on 32 ct. Gingham, 
Framed by Liz through Fancy Works

Last up for the month is a pillow I started and finished in a week. Nothing like waiting until the last minute to start your exchange piece for retreat, right? Snip Snip is a new pattern from October House Fiber Arts that I picked up at market. It was such a fun and quick stitch and Luann, who was at my table at the retreat, picked this one in the exchange. I think I just may have to stitch this one again for me. 
Snip Snip by October House Fiber Arts, 
Stitched on a mystery linen (35 ct Antique White?) with mostly called for threads
Finished by me as a pillow with Lady Dot mini-pom

In addition to all that great stitching and finishing, it was a very fun month - here are the highlights! 
My son turned 16! (no license yet, still working on Driver's Ed)

Went to Nashville Needlework Market as a buyer for Persnickety with
my mom, Janie and Sue and met so many amazing people there

Had a great retreat!
With an amazing collection of exchange pieces!

And special time with my mom and my bestie Beth

Met our friend Paula for dinner and got to meet her family

Hopped on a plane with my daughter to visit the "final three" colleges

I will be happy for a bit slower April - we'll see if that actually happens! 

Here are my stats for March: 

Stitching time - linking up with Kate at Life in Pieces
- 25/31 days with stitching time for 81%

Stash reporting - linking up with Donna at quiltpaintcreate
Fabric added this month: 0 yards
Fabric used this month: 0 yards
Fabric added year to date: 1 1/2 yards
Fabric used year to date: 3 7/8 yards
Net fabric used: 2 3/8 yards

Unfinished project tracking: 
+2 finished pieces, -3 FFOs
41 stitched pieces waiting to be FFO'ed (down 1 from Feb)
9 quilts waiting to be fully finished (same as Feb)

Hope you are all enjoying some warmer weather and signs of spring. March came in like a lamb, was crazy like a lion most of the month, and left with crazy spring storms. Looking forward to more buds, blooms and open windows in April. 

Comments

Beth said…
Your retreats (and time with you) are always my favorite time of year!!!!
Kate said…
Considering how busy you were, you had a great March. Hopefully April will be a bit calmer as May will likely be a bit nutty with your girl graduating. I can't pick a favorite from your finishes this month, I like all three of them. Happy stitching!
What a wonderful March you had, Jennifer! Lovely finished pieces! It looked like you had an incredible time at Market and your retreat. Here's to April!
Marti said…
That was a busy March but you got so much done! I love your finished pieces, especially Hello April. Good luck making the final college decision too; I remember those days and it was tough.