July 2022 - my UFO challenge to myself

I can't believe I am writing this post from the start of August - this year seems to be going by awfully quickly, doesn't it? My kids are back to school already and I know the school year will fly by with my oldest as a senior. But before we get into that, let me share what I did in July. It was a great month, as I had the first full week off for a company shut-down. This is a new benefit we've only had for a few years and I really like it - a full week off during the 4th of July week. It is so much nicer to be on vacation when everyone else is, rather than coming back from a great week off to a mountain of email and activities. 

I am happy to say that I spent quite a bit of time working on my quilting and stitching during my week off and through the whole month. Back in June, I set myself a challenge of making some good progress on quilt UFOs - I wanted to finish three and make progress on two more. I shared my progress in June in my June recap post. At that point, I'd quilted two UFOs. I am happy to share that I not only met my goal, but exceeded it and I am so glad to have four finishes to share and one with good progress. Here they are. 

Pumpkin Stack, a wall hanging that started as a mug rug - I made the smallest pumpkin and it was so small, I decided to see what would happen if I doubled it, and then did that again. I think this is such a cute quilt and can't wait to hang it in October. It is quilted with Signature Poly thread in a variegated orange. I did a hand-guided stippling for this quilt. 

Mini Lotus by Jaybird quilts was my second finish. I quilted this one with "petals" in each of the "flowers" with a Superior King Tut variegated thread. This one is on the table in my living room and I love seeing it each day. 

My fourth one was a "found UFO" that I unearthed when I was looking for something else. It wasn't even on my UFO list - whoops! This is a row by row pattern from several years ago. I bought this one in North Carolina while on our way to the Outer Banks. I made it into a table runner with some fabric I picked at a local shop. I quilted it with a light blue Omni thread in loops and think it is a really fun summer piece. 

My last UFO finish is actually the first one I started on - I quilted this in June and it was the last one I bound. I asked my daughter and one of my Scouts which color binding it should have and they selected the yellow - I think it really makes that border pop. This quilt is called Sunrise Over the Mountain by Deb Karasik and is a paper pieced quilt. I quilted it with several threads to match the fabrics behind them and it is custom quilted (that means custom designs for each section rather than a design that goes over the whole quilt). This one is also a wall hanging and it is the last in a set of three that I've made. I can't wait to hang these three together. 

My three Deb Karasik quilts together.

My fifth UFO - Which Way's North by Judy Niemeyer - this is the one that I made progress on - what you see in the bag in front of the quilt is all the paper removed from the paper piecing. I thought this would be a quick way to make progress, but it took a lot longer than I expected. The good news is that it's all off now so I can shift my focus to finding a good quilt back for this one. I'd like to have this finished by October when we go to our fall quilt retreat so I can take it for show and tell.   

It really was fun for the last month and a half to put some focus on finish up a few quilts that had been waiting for way too long. I think I may need to do something similar with my stitching. Speaking of stitching, I had one finish and one fully-finish in July. 

My finish is Be Kind, Be Happy, Be Well, a Lizzie Kate freebie that was designed early in the pandemic. I stitched mine on a light purple linen with all kinds of color changes. I had a recipient in mind as I stitched this and they are much more of a bold and bright person, so I thought these colors would fit them. The B and the top and bottom words are in a lovely purple that doesn't show up well on camera, but looks really nice in person.
Lizzie Kate Pandemic Freebie

My FFO is called Animal Friends and is by Tiny Modernist. It was part of a monthly series but I don't plan to stitch the series. August is my birthday month and I thought this was a super cute August pattern. I mounted this on mat board and then attached it to a wooden block from Michael's. I spent way too long trying to tie a reasonable bow ;) and I think in the end it worked out okay. This one will sit on my mantel in August. It was stitched on a very light blue aida. 

As I said, it really was a great month for my hobbies. I am glad to have had a little spurt of energy to get these all done and hope I can hang onto that for the next few months. 

Here are my monthly reports on stash usage and crafting time: 
Stash Report - linking up with Donna at quiltpaintcreate
Fabric added this month: 3/4 yard
Fabric used this month: 1 3/4 yards
Fabric added year to date: 4 1/4 yards
Fabric used year to date: 21 7/8 yards
Net fabric used: 17 5/8 yards

Stitching time - linking up with Kate at Life-in-Pieces
26 days with at least 15 minutes of quilting or stitching time - 84% success rate in July

Hope your July was a nice one too and see you again soon! 

Comments

Your UFO finishes are all beautiful, Jennifer. Well done! What a great concept about a company shut down/vacation! Your Lizzie Kate piece looks great and the Tiny Modernist block finish is adorable. Way to go! Enjoy your birthday month!