May 2022 Stats and Retreat Report

Hi all - it has been a little while but I am back to share a few updates. May was a busy month (I feel a bit like a broken record...what month isn't busy these days?) with StitchMaynia and my annual spring quilt retreat. I will break up the activities into two posts and this one will be focused on quilt retreat along with the stash and stitching time reports. 

I started the month with some prep work so that I'd be ready for retreat - it is always good to have something that's a quick finish and new projects prepped and pre-cut if possible. I worked on the first part by finishing up the quilting on an unfinished quilt - it was one of Lois' UFOs and I had almost forgotten about it. My mom and I did an inventory of her remaining unfinished projects in December and this one was just waiting to be quilted. I made the back for it and loaded it on the frame to start quilting it in March but then didn't start on it until April. This one took a while and was finally finished up on Sunday, May 1. I got it packed up and ready to take to retreat and it was my first finish - I just had to trim it up and bind it which was easily done on the first night. 

It always feels good to get to the end of the quilt!

Purple Haze from the book Floragraphix - bound and out for display at show and tell

I then moved on to a new project - a t-shirt quilt for a friend. Way back in the start of the year, I cut and fused the t-shirts and specifically planned to bring them to retreat to work on - it was easy to select a grey sashing and then cut cornerstones from a pair of pajama pants. This top went together really nicely. I plan to use a little more of the pj pants for the quilt back and will get it finished up to become a Christmas present for the friend who brought the clothes from her parents to me. The bottom right "shirt" is actually the pocket from one shirt and the back pocket from the pj pants. 


The third day of retreat was a bag-making day - my mom and I both picked the same patterns and made two bags and I really like how they turned out. The first bag is a quilt-as-you-go back, which means that when you are done with the piecing, you're done! I used a pack of 2 1/2" strips as called for in the pattern and really love how this turned out - it was so much fun to make that I am thinking about making a few more for holiday gifts. 

Alexandra Tote - quilt as you go bag

The second project is a project bag made with mesh. This one was a little more involved, as it had mesh, a zipper, and quilting on the back piece. I think it turned out pretty cute and was glad to use a few fat quarters from an old Bonnie & Camille fabric line. I love the bright blue with the red. 

Piecekeeper Project Bag

The last project took up the remainder of the retreat and it was a really fun one to make. This quilt is made with the Quick Curve Mini ruler and I used a layer cake of Heather Peterson's Indigo Garden fabric line for the main motif, with various cream/tan background fabrics. I really love how it turned out except for the top two pieces - the fabric really blended in as a background instead of standing out. I am going to pull out those two pieces and move a few things around to make sure the fabric shows off the design well. 
Color Love by Sew Kind of Wonderful

Overall, it was really a great retreat and I am very happy with the progress I made - the prep and retreat were my only sewing for the month, but they were great sewing as they used up some stash. I didn't add any fabric to my stash while at retreat, so I came home with a positive balance for the week. 

Stash Report for May - linking up with Donna at quiltpaintcreate
Fabric added this month: 0 yards
Fabric used this month: 6 3/8 yards

Fabric added year to date: 3 1/2 yards
Fabric used year to date: 18 3/8 yards
Net fabric used: 14 7/8 yards

Stitching Time report for May - linking up with Kate at Life in Pieces
# days with at least 15 minutes of craft time - 31/31 = 100% (you'll see why in my next posts about stitchmaynia)

Hope you enjoyed seeing my retreat projects - it was a great time as always and I am already planning projects for the fall retreat in October! 

Comments

The projects you worked on during your retreat are all beauties, Jennifer. Well done.
Carol said…
I'm amazed at all you got accomplished at the retreat, Jennifer! I fear that I would spend the whole time gabbing and looking at everyone else's work :) Really love the variety of projects you worked on, too, especially the project bag made with mesh. That looks quite complicated, but your finished it in your usual perfect way. Love that color combination, too. Happy almost summer to you ♥
Moneik said…
Looks like you had a great retreat! Love seeing you finish Lois's UFO's as I know what a big project that is.