September 2021 - Lots of finishing!

Time to do some catching up! I am not sure quite why I have gotten so behind on my blog, but I will make a few posts to catch up - they might be a little long, so grab a beverage - hot or cold - and join me to read about my September projects. 

The month started with a bang, as my mom and I spent a couple days together sewing, which turned into a lot of finishing of cross-stitch for me. We usually sew like crazy, but this time we also enjoyed an evening and another morning of sitting on the couch together stitching and it was great. We watched some of the Olympics she'd recorded for me and also some Flosstube. Once we finally got up from the couch, I started with a quilt top that needed to be assembled - I brought it home from our May retreat webbed together and needed to finish it up, which I did. I am really pleased with this finished top which was a kit I purchased several years ago. The pattern is called Urban Chained and it is by Sew Kind of Wonderful using the Quick Curve ruler. 

Urban Chained quilt top (please ignore box on the side and crazy teenage hair at the top!)

After the top was together, I set to framing some cross-stitch. Over the course of one evening and the next morning, I framed three pieces. All the frames have been in my stash for a while and I picked them all up at different cross-stitch stores over the years. 

Candy Corn of Mischief by Bent Creek - stitched on burlap, maybe 10ct. with Perle Cotton from a kit
 
A Little Boo by Lizzie Kate - stitched with Kit linen and called for threads

Firenze - this is a stamped cross-stitch that I bought in Florence, finally stitched a few years ago and now finally framed!

Then I set out to do the handwork pieces and finished two more items! One of them is my first ornament from Carol's stitching challenge that I participated in the first half of the year (I haven't kept up with it for the second half but am okay with that). 

Joy by Lizzie Kate from an old Just Cross Stitch Christmas Ornaments issue, stitched on 32 ct. Petit Point with threads that looked good to me. I eliminated part of the pattern so that I could finish it as this needle roll and I absolutely love it! 

The second is my first biscornu. If you watch my flosstube, then you know I was a little unsure about the finishing on this one but watched several videos and was encouraged by the comments of others on Instagram and YouTube who said "you can do it!" And I did! I am so very happy with how this stitched up and I just love the finish. This was my first biscornu but definitely won't be my last. The stitching and finishing were both pretty fun and they look great in a little bowl on display with other stitching projects. 

Fox Biscornu by Tiny Modernist - top of the finished project

Side view

Bottom view


The funny thing is that all of this was finished by Labor Day! After all that productivity, I settled into my stitching chair for most of the rest of the month. Once settled in, I finished up three stitching projects by the end of the month. 

Halloween Wreath by Tiny Modernist - stitched as a shop sample for Persnickety Stitchers in Zionsville, IN - stitched with called for DMC threads on 28 ct. Stormy Gray linen

Pumpkin Brew by Brenda Gervais from the Jack O'Lantern Jubilee book, stitched on a piece of mystery (probably 28 ct.) linen with some called for threads and some of my own

Charting a Course - I've been working on this project for quite a while and absolutely love the finish - it was from a kit that I purchased at a stitcher's garage sale and I used the 14 ct. Aida and threads in the kit. I am so pleased with how it turned out and plan to have this one professionally framed.

Later in September, I sewed up some new masks for our neighbor's girls and worked on pre-cutting some projects for our October retreat. 

New masks for the neighbor girls (one was missing elastic but has it now!)

I think that about catches us up for September. It seems like almost a lifetime ago that my mom and I were stitching and sewing together and we are hoping to get another chance in November around the Thanksgiving weekend. 

In the midst of all this and work, I also...

Enjoyed lots of open window days working from home with Miss Grace in her element sniffing every smell in the neighborhood (and barking at every dog, person, and delivery person who came on our street!)

Went camping for the family where my Sister-in-law taught my daughter how to use a compass while hiking (the shirt was a total coincidence!)

And enjoyed the most amazing day at my alma mater, Alma College, celebrating our 25th class reunion (how it is possible 25 years have passed so quickly?!?!)

Here are the official stats for the month for those who enjoy them: 

Stitching time with Kate at Life in Pieces:
Days crafting for at least 15 minutes - 30/30 - 100% - yahoo, so glad to find sewing or stitching time every day this month! 

Stash Report with Donna at QuiltPaintCreate

Fabric added this month: 0 yards
Fabric used this month: 2 yards
Fabric added year to date: 15 1/8 yards
Fabric used year to date: 36 5/8 yards
Net fabric used: 21 1/2 yards

Thanks for reading the "old news" and I will try to be back before too long with the October update. Let me know your favorite thing from September - in my post or from your life - I love to hear from you and thank you all for sticking with me. 

Comments

Enjoyed seeing your projects, Jennifer. Each one is lovely, but my favorite is the lighthouse. Well done!
Carol said…
So good to see a new post and catch up with you, Jennifer! You certainly have been productive! Love your cross stitch finishes, especially the cute needle roll finish of the LK Joy design. And that Tiny Modernist piece is adorable, too. I may just have to stitch that for my grandson when he is older. I just began Pumpkin Brew, too, but may set it aside until next year. Love the Charting Your Course finish--it is certainly worth of professional framing. And how nice to have such perfect frames in your stash for your three framed pieces. I need to get busy and frame more of my long-neglected finishes :)

Hope you are enjoying the same sunny warm weather that we have had in November! Enjoy your week ♥
Kate said…
Sometimes keeping up with the blog means you can't keep up with the stitching stuff, at least that's been my problem the latter part of this year. Sounds like the stitching time with your Mom was both fun and really productive. You finished some great Halloween projects before Halloween got here, that had to feel good. Congrats on manageing to stitch some every day in September. Fingers crossed that October was as good.
Ratana said…
I like your blog,I sincerely hope that your blog a rapid increase in
traffic density,which help promote your blog and we hope that your blog is being updated.
Live Score_បាល់ផ្សាយបន្តផ្ទាល់​