August 2021 Activities

Hi everyone and welcome to the August recap just a few days into September! August was a great (if a little warm) month and I had a lot of fun. There was just a smidge of time in the sewing room because the month was busy with the Biscornu SAL my mom and I hosted and our Indy Summer Stitchers cross-stitch retreat. 

On the quilting side, I had two quick finishes and just one day in the sewing room sewing - I made and attached the binding to the top I quilted last night and I made a couple thread keepers for cross-stitch. 
Four-Hour Throw - made with a layer cake




Thread keep outside

Interior lined with batting

Now, let's get to the stitching fun! At the beginning of the month, I started not one but two projects :) on the same day. The first was my Fox biscornu to go along with the #biscornusal that my mom and I hosted on Instagram. If you haven't seen them, take a look at the great pictures others have shared of their choices and progress. 
All ready to start my first biscornu

The second start was also a quick finish - this is a shop model for Persnickety Stitchers called Flower Fun by Heart in Hand. I stitched it on an 18count fabric with DMC (6 strands!) and it was finished in two stitching sessions. I finished it into a wrapped hoop and finished the back with some wool I had on hand. I am really pleased with the finish and it looks cute in the shop too. 
Flower Fun by Heart in Hand

My next finish is a piece I started in April for Americana April, Star Spangled Birthday by Nancy's Needle. It is a counted thread piece and I enjoyed working on something a little different. I decided not to include the charted fireworks as they just didn't pop on my design and I am really pleased with the finished stitching. I am not sure yet whether I will frame this or finish it another way. It is stitched on the called for fabric and with the called for threads. 


The third finish was a start from StitchMaynia - and I really love this one (but I think I love them all!). It is from the book Sand, Sea, and Cross Stitch by Anna Field. I saw a project from this book years ago and fell in love with the projects in the book. I loved this one and bought linen for it a while back. I am so happy to complete and show this one off at our cross-stitch retreat. I plan to have this one framed. 
Lighthouse ABCs finish

Two more fully-finished items for August. I completed the Lizzie Kate monthly Flip-It - only a few more months to finish and I will have all 12 done :) 

The last finish is a piece I stitched last year for my friend Beth - she had her 50th birthday last year and I wasn't able to spend it with her (although I had the piece stitched in time), so when she came for the retreat, I finally was able to give her the gift. I forgot to take a picture of it before she took it home, so I asked her to send a picture - she sent a few. 
Lizzie Kate Boxer finish
Flat-fold or hat?? 

All these great projects, plus our third Indy Summer Stitchers Retreat - a group of about 23 gathered on a Friday afternoon and we stitched our way through to Sunday afternoon. It was a great weekend and I really enjoyed stitching with other women again. We had some good meals and lots of laughs over the weekend - and we might have had some tough love to get people backstitching. It was a great time and the best news is that we decided to host a second retreat, so next year, we'll have retreats in March and August. Can't wait to get in two fun stitching weekends! Here are a few pics from the retreat. I realized I don't take too many photos because I am so busy stitching! 
Mom all set up and ready to stitch!
The smalls exchange
Smalls exchange - aren't they gorgeous? 
Retreat attendees
 

Here are the official stats for the month. I added some fabric with my birthday discount for a few new projects - it's always fun to add fabric to the stash. 

Stash report with Donna at quiltpaintcreate
Fabric added this month: 3 1/8 yards
Fabric used this month: 1/2 yard
Fabric added year to date: 15 1/8 yards
Fabric used year to date: 34 5/8 yards
Net fabric used: 19 1/2 yards

Stitching Time with Kate at Life In Pieces
29/31 days with at least 15 minutes of crafting - 94%

Thanks for hanging in for a long post - hope you had a great August too! Let me know in the comments which of my August projects is your favorite and what you were working on in August. 

Comments

Kate said…
You had a really productive month! I really like your Star Spangled Birthday finish. Congrats on all the stitching time. Hope that September is just as good or better than August. Happy stitching.
Beth said…
I love my hat!!!! And thank you for the backstitching tough love! It was such a great retreat and I am looking forward to the next one! :)
What wonderful projects you worked on and finished, Jennifer! I love the flatfold (or hat) you created for your friend. It looks like everyone had a blast at the retreat. You know it is a great time when you want to increase the number.
Moneik said…
I loved the lighthouse stitched piece. I love all the inspiration you and your mom provide.
Carol said…
Wow! What a fun and productive month, Jennifer! I think my favorite of your August finishes is the Nancy Needle's piece--very different and just lovely with the various stitches. The little sunflower finish is darling and I'm sure the shop is thrilled to have some new models to share with their customers. Love that lighthouse finish as well :)

Glad your retreat went well and I'm sure you're already counting the days until your next one in March. Hope September is off to a great start for you, too ♥