August 2020

Hi everyone - I am back to share with you the other activities from the month of August. I continued to enjoy my week off from work at the end of the month and got a big quilting project finished. It's an old one that started probably back in 2007, and it is from this book, which is one of the earliest quilting books I received. I love log cabins, and I love this quilt! It started as a bee project - back when our bee was called Block Builder's Bee - we each hosted one month a year and when we hosted, everyone else made a block for us. It was a lot of fun and I thought it would be a great way to get a start on this project and ensure I had lots of variety in the fabric, since I was still pretty early in my quilting history. I think I had the group make blocks two years in a row, and then I still had a lot more to make. If you want to follow back on the history of this quilt, you can see these blog posts, where I belly-ache about making the rest of the blocks, and then set goals and get the top made. In my make-some-backs day last month, I found the perfect fabric for the back of this quilt - a border print that was perfect to complement the bright colors on the front. I loaded it and then hemmed and hawed about how to quilt it, eventually landing on very simple quilting. I did large loops in a variegated teal blue Superior Lava thread. I had a few troubles with the thread, but managed okay. I used a black Hobbes batting for this and am really pleased with the finished result. Without further ado, here's the quilt out by my garden! 

Stained Glass Log Cabin

Stained Glass Log Cabin Back

The other quilting project I spent some time with this month is the End of the Rainbow quilt I am making for my son. I got the blocks put together and laid them out - my son approves, so I will keep going! This is about half the blocks that I will need as I am making it for a twin extra long (he's 13 and 5'11" already, so I am pretty sure he'll need the longer bed soon)! 

End of the Rainbow blocks

The last project that I pulled out this month is a crochet project! I've worked on this on and off for months, usually preferring to stitch over crochet. However, my brother and two of his boys came to visit and I thought this would be a good project to work on while we all spent time at my parent's house. I had no idea I was close enough to be able to finish it! Here it is before blocking - I will soak and block it this weekend at my mom's and then I am going to gift it to an unsuspecting friend as the weather turns colder. As I worked on it, I thought it would be perfect for her. The pattern is 1-on-1 Cowl by Sharon Frazier, and I used Cascade Yarns Pacific in Blue-Green. I am really looking forward to seeing the pattern open up a little when I block it. 

1-on-1 Cowl

Well, that's all the projects, so now I will move on to the monthly accounting. 

Stash Report - linking up with Donna at quiltpaintcreate

Fabric added this month: 1 1/4 yards (see picture below)
Fabric used this month: 7/8 yards
Fabric added year to date: 3 7/8 yards
Fabric used year to date: 55 1/2 yards
Net fabric used: 51 5/8 yards
New fabric, birthday gift, and some cross-stitch fabric from a friend!

Stitching Time - linking up with Kate at Life in Pieces
Days with at least 15 minutes/crafting time - 31/31 = 100% (it was great to have 10 days off where I did some stitching or quilting or crochet every day!)

Exercise report
Weeks with at least 90 minutes of exercise - 3/4 = 75%

All in all, August was a great month for me and I hope it was for you too! 


Comments

Jennifer, your Stained Glass quilt is stunning and I love the backing fabric you picked for it. The blocks for your son's quilt are looking awesome. Well done on getting the cowl finished; gorgeous color! I think you had an incredible month of August. Have a good weekend!
Laura said…
Congratulations on finishing your Stained Glass quilt! I like the back of it too. Your son's quilt is coming along nicely.
Carol said…
I think that stained glass quilt finish is one of my favorites of yours, Jennifer. It really is striking--both front and back! I'm sure you're thrilled to have it finished after all these years. And yes, your son will definitely need that twin extra long size (maybe even extra, extra if he keeps growing the way he is!). It is looking great and I know it will be very special to him.

Your cowl looks so pretty--perfect gift for a friend during the upcoming winter (which I'm truly dreading!). Take care now and enjoy those stitching goodies--Happy Belated Birthday, too, Jennifer ♥
Kate said…
The stained glass quilt is gorgeous! You picked a great backing and even better it came from the stash. You've got a great start on another fun quilt with those rainbow blocks.
Congrats on all the great metrics from August. Hope September is as productive.