November 2014 Cooking Challenge

Before I counted up this month's recipes, I thought we'd done pretty well - I would have guessed 6-8 recipes.  It turns out we only made 4 new ones from the recipe folder, plus two off the internet.  The others were ones that we tried again from last year and the good news is that the two together gave us a month with pretty good variety.  Here are the four new recipes we tried this month: 

Penne-Wise Pumpkin Pasta - I pulled this one out of a Rachael Ray magazine several years ago but was never brave enough to try it!   I intended to make this in October, but was a little unsure about it still, so finally Mike made it one night when I wasn't home and I ate leftovers when I arrived.  It was okay - it was fairly bland, so we added some hot sauce to the portions that the adults ate, but it didn't do much for us.  The kids didn't like it at all! 
Apple Chip Snacking Cake - this recipe was a result of having too many apples in the house, so I dug through the dessert recipes until I found one that called for apples.  In the end, it only used two, so I still have a bunch of apples!  This recipe came from Hershey's website and the date on the paper says I pulled it off in summer of 1997!  This was a tasty cake - the right combination of fruit, chocolate, and cake - and I think we'll make this again next time we have too many apples! 


Our third recipe this month is from a 2012 Cooking Light - Crisp Chicken Marinara.  It seems like we've tried quite a few recipes similar to this - breaded chicken with sauce and noodles. This one was billed as a lower calorie version of Chicken Parmesan, and it was good, but nothing to write home about.  I think we've had other breaded chicken recipes that I would put above this one, but I will hang on to this and we'll probably have it again.

The final recipe this month is from Everyday Food, and is Creamy Shells with Tuna and Spinach.  This one is billed as an update to old fashioned tuna casserole.  This one split us 50/50 - the guys liked it and the girls were lukewarm.  We all agreed that we like traditional tuna noodle casserole better, but we'll adjust the recipe a bit (less pepper, more of other spices) and try it again in the future. 
From searching the internet, I also made baked pumpkin, which I'd had about 18 years ago in Australia, and also Crash Hot Potatoes (I pulled the recipe from facebook, and it was a little different from this one, but close enough to give you the idea), which were a great way to have red skinned potatoes - they took a while, but we will definitely make these again! 
Baked pumpkin
Crash Hot Potatoes
We have one more month of our recipe challenge remaining and I have about 100 recipes left!  We'll try to get through several of them this month, but we'll have a lot left to continue experimenting with next year! 

Comments