January 2020

Wow, how did the first month of 2020 go so quickly? It is hard to believe it is already over and I know the rest of the year will come flying at us. 

I had a great month in January - lots of time for stitching, some crochet, and some good sewing, and also warmer than normal weather, which helped me achieve some of my exercise goals. I've already shared my first two accomplishments of the year here, and my RSC project here, so today, I will share the other finishes. 

Let's start with quilting - over the holidays, I pulled out a quilt top that I made at a retreat back in 2015. I am sure I had grand plans at the time to quilt it once I got home, but that didn't happen! When I pulled it out to see if it was big enough to be a holiday bed quilt (it wasn't), I realized that I really like it so decided to get the back made and get it quilted. It sat on the frame for a couple weeks because I didn't really know how I wanted to quilt it. I knew I wanted to do some custom quilting, but trying to figure out how is always that hard part. In the end, I just started, and made it up along the way. I am pleased with how it turned out - there are still some things I need to practice, but as many quilters have said, "done is better than perfect!" I sewed on the binding last weekend and then hand sewed it during the week, finishing it up on Thursday night. This is my UFO Challenge #3 for the year, and I am thrilled to have it done. 
Loved having some sunshine to get an outdoor picture today!
Closeup of the quilting texture
In the stitching area, I joined the Stitchingly Months of the Year SAL (stitch-a-long), mostly because the January motif is so cute. I just love the koala! I enjoyed finding a piece of stash fabric and digging through my threads to find almost all of what I need. It took a couple weeks to get the frame and the January piece finished. I love the bright and cheery colors and I am looking forward to stitching the next part which arrived today.

I also found a frame for one of my 2019 finishes and framed Cozy In. It is up on my mantel and makes me smile, even though our weather isn't quite so cold as to make me want to cozy in! 

I found success with all of my tracking challenges in January, here are the reports: 

Stash Report: 
Fabric added this month/year: 0 yards
Fabric added this month/year: 3/4 yard
Net fabric used: 3/4 yard

Stitching time: 24 days with at least 15 minutes of time crafting, 77%

Exercise: 4/5 weeks with at least 90 minutes of exercise, 80% - the warmer than normal weather really helped to make some walks after work possible.

All in all, a good start to the year! Hoping the rest of the year brings more of the same. 

Linking up with Kate at Life In Pieces for the stitching time report and Donna at Quilt Paint Create for the stash report

Comments

loulee said…
What a cute tree. And beautifully quilted.
I love your quilted tree, Jennifer! I can see why you are happy with it. Good for you on tackling your exercise goal! Your SAL piece looks super. I really like the cheerful colors in it! Enjoy your week!
Laura said…
You did a great job on quilting that tree! Congratulations getting it done before next December!
dq said…
Beautiful, beautiful, gorgeous quilting on your blue tree quilt!!!

I like that you record your physical activity goals. I need to do that. I was exercising and doing well before Thanksgiving and then fell off the band wagon which is sad because I was starting to feel real success with weight loss. I do love to exercise! I just need to make it a prioroty.
Kate said…
Love your Blue Christmas Tree. And that cross stitch is so cute! You did really well on all your goals last month. I'm working on better health habits starting this month, it's hard to fit all of that in (I'd so much rather stitch than work out!). Hope February is as good on all fronts.
Carol said…
You did have a great month, Jennifer! I guess not traveling helped a lot in achieving so many of your goals. My youngest son had no work trips in January either and said he enjoyed just relaxing at home for a change after work.

Love your blue quilt and your little koala is just the cutest! The framed finish of Cozy In looks darling, too. I have actually missed not having any snow this winter and having that cozy feeling where you are forced to stay inside and stay warm :)

Great job on your exercise goals. I walk 4-5 miles each day and try to do my light weights (really need to get better with them, though!).

Enjoy your February--hope it is a good month for all of you!
Marti said…
I don't know how I missed this post. I love the Christmas tree and Cozy In. Is the Cozy In needlepoint? I love the snow outside the window.