September found me making some real progress in my sewing studio as well as finishing up some stitching and crocheting.
On the quilting side, my "first-a-finish" was meant to be my Wonky reindeer top that I made at retreat last year, but I never quite got around to finishing it, so I moved on to a top from a friend that I've had to quilt way too long. I finally got it loaded on the frame and quilted the bright, busy Kaffe Fassett fabrics in an all over chrysanthemum design from Angela Walter's book. I used a variegated pink/orange/purple thread and it worked very well with the quilt.
Once I got that off the frame, I loaded one of my older UFOs, which was also picked as the APQ UFO Challenge item for the month, Rough Around the Edges. I had held off on quilting this one a long time because of the raw edges in each block. I did a little reading on the Handiquilter Glide foot (which my mom gave me for my birthday) and got it installed, then went to town. It worked beautifully with this quilt and I did an all over loops and stars design. This quilt is going to a good friend who has served two tours in Afghanistan with the Army, so I will get the binding on at my retreat this week and then deliver over the weekend.
My other sewing finish was the bag I started last month, the Super Tote from Noodlehead. I love how this one finished and I've been using it all month. It is a great tote for my crochet projects.
The only stash usage I had in the month was a fat quarter for backing my still-in-progress Wonky Reindeer, so here's the stash recap:
Fabric used this month: 1/4 yard
Fabric added this month: 0 yards
Fabric added year to date: 13 1/4 yards
Fabric used year to date: 52 1/8 yards
Net fabric used: 38 7/8 yards
I also finished up a crochet project this month - a cowl from Craftsy called the Petite Basketweave Cowl. I am really pleased with how it came together and look forward to wearing it this fall. It goes well with my favorite purple shirt :)
My final finish is a stitching one - a small piece I've had for a long, long time called Sleigh Bells Ring. I stitched it on a scrap piece of 18 count Rustico fabric and plan to finish it into a cube or flat fold. I love how this happy little reindeer family turned out.
I am working now to get ready for my retreat that starts Thursday and looking forward to having a few days to dedicate to some good quilting time.